General Race Information:
|Event Date:||29 March 2014|
|Registration:||Friday, 28 March 2014 (16h00 to 19h00)
Saturday, 29 March 2014 (06h00 to 07h00)
Entries open 6 November 2013 @ 10h00
|Venue:||Giant’s Castle Nature Reserve|
|Province:||KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa|
Join us in 2014 for one of the oldest mountain biking events on the KZN calendar – the 18th annual Giant’s Castle MTB Challenge. This is one of South Africa’s toughest one-day mountain biking events: a 75km route through Giant’s Castle Game Reserve in the Central Drakensberg, and it’s not for the fainthearted!
You will participate in an awe-inspiring and epic journey: something different to challenge you entirely; something to clear your mind, free your spirit and focus your efforts. Apart from earning the right to wear the coveted branded fleece top with pride, you will have made a place for yourself in that special team of people who have decided that it’s up to us to assist with the conservation of our natural environment in which we enjoy our cycling. Funds raised from the event will go towards The Wildlands Conservation Trust, which works with communities and conservation authorities to preserve our natural heritage for future generations. So what are you waiting for? Come tame the Giant!
A pre-race briefing, which MUST be attended by all participants, will take place at 18:30 during registration inside the marquee on Friday evening. Final instructions regarding route changes (if necessary) and a weather report will be given before the start of the race. Race briefing dinner will take place at 18:30 at the Race Village on 28 March 2014. All participants have to be present for this. A fully detailed description of the route, checkpoints, medical assistances etc. will be given.
Want to have a fun family day out, but still get some racing done? Why not check your kids in at the new Bonitas Lucky KidZone? The KidZone is a secure and managed area where caretakers will look after your kids while you are out there having fun, keeping them entertained with face painters, balloonists, jumping castles and fun workshops on how to plant their own trees or create their own worm farm! Why not sign your kids in, brave the race, and then sign them out once you are finished or ready? And the best part of all – it’s FREE to all athletes! This area was specially created for all you parents dying to do this amazing race, but still wanting to have a great family day out!
- All rules & regulations of EKZN Wildlife apply while you are in the Reserve. Please note that littering is an offence.
- A helmet must be worn for the duration of the Challenge – no helmet, no ride.
- You must have turned or be turning 19 years old in the year in which the current Giant’s Challenge is staged.
- Under no circumstances may you allow another cyclist to ride in your place should you be unable to participate. No substitutions will be allowed.
- No refunds will be made.
- Every participant must display a Challenge number for the duration of the Challenge. A number board will be issued to each participant at Registration. Number boards will be collected from you at the finish so that they can be reused at the next Challenge.
- No seconding of riders will be permitted.
- Each participant will be responsible for carrying what he or she considers to be essential for survival & safety for a one-day event in high mountain country such as the Drakensberg. Individuals are advised to carry their own first aid kit.
- Each participant is to ensure that his/her cycle is in good condition. This event is extremely tough & is punishing to both body & bike.
- Marshals and officials must be obeyed at all times.
- Slower riders must give way to faster riders.
- No shortcuts or deviations from the route are allowed.
- The Giant’s Challenge is run under & conforms to the requirements of Cycling South Africa.